Coffee Facts

That coffee you’re drinking is not just the best beverage in the world; it is also a surprising mix of history and science. Here are interesting facts about your favourite drink:

  1. The name for coffee comes from the Arabic word “qahwah”, which means wine.
  2. Thank the goats for coffee. Long ago, when some goats were grazing along some pasture land in South America, their shepherd followed them one day. He noticed that the goats ate some strange berries and figured that this would be the reason they are awake, day or night.
  3. Coffee is grown in 65 countries, all of which are along the equator, within the tropics of both ends. Brazil is one of the major producers of coffee, with its Sao Paulo region accounting for more coffee beans than many other coffee producing countries put together.
  4. Instant coffee was invented by a man called George Washington from Belgium in 1906, almost 600 years after coffee was first used as a beverage.
  5. Originally however, coffee was eaten! Some African tribes mixed up coffee berries with some animal fat and ate them as energy balls when they needed to be out long hunting.
  6. 70% of the world drinks a variety of coffee called Arabica. The rest 30% drinks Robusta, a bitterer tasting variant. Robusta has around 50% more caffeine than Arabica.
  7. Major consumers of coffee are the Canadians and the Americans. Germany, Austria, Italy and the Nordic countries are some of the other major consumers.
  8. Coffee is the second most traded commodity in the world, right after oil. Only a little difference before coffee starts dictating world currencies.
  9. Caffeine is a banned substance according to the World Anti-Doping Authority (WADA). Athletes with more than 16 micro grams of caffeine per ml of urine are banned from the Olympic Games. This level takes around five cups of coffee to achieve.
  10. In Turkey, bridegrooms were once made to promise that they’d always provide coffee for their new wives, the lack of which was a ground for divorce.